One thing that seems popular today:
re-grouping/touring/recording of sixties or early seventies rock groups
The Who, Stones, re-issuing Lennon tunes/film, Monkees, Turtles, Lovin’ Spoonful, Pink FLoyd, the sudden popularity of the Dead
Selling out of musicians to corporate America
Steve Winwood, Michael Jackson, Eric Clapton, etc.
This seemingly was spurred by the movie The Big Chill in the early 1980s. The popularity of the movie was brought about by the nerve it struck with the Baby Boomers. It was about and for them. In it there was great use of the Sixties music. The movie was a hit—corporate America wanted to cash in—so the Sixties are “in”. 1960s music dominates advertisements, rock “legends” are resurrected, living off of the old glory, caching in on nostalgia.
I was caught up in this—as much as I like to think I was raised on this music—I wasn’t. To an extent I was, but the Stones I know and remember is Emotional Rescue (when Dwight came over), I never heard of the Young Rascals, Traffic, Jefferson Airplane, etc. To be true, I was quite into Neil Young, but Southern Man wasn’t my era, Hey Hey, My My was.
The Lost 45s caters to my bubble-gum music—Kung Fu Fighting, Jazzman, Billy Don’t Be a Hero. etc.
I was captured by corporate America—sucked into thinking this was my music—I really like the tunes (I’m not denying that), but I’m liking them re-hashed, re-spun, regurgitated.
I need to get more in-tuned to 1989—to today. This needs to be done musically as well as politically, economically, etc.
Also blogged on this date . . .
- How do you minimize social media feeds and not miss important info? - 2021
- Corner Of Woodbury (Woodbury Memorial Park) - 2020
- Seven Deadly Sins - Envy - 2020
- Palm Island, Game 2 - 2020
- Photography & Voting Revisited - 2012
- Kindle Fire - 2011
- Extreme Makeover - 2011
- How Can One Sell the Air? - 2010
- Millville Eyeing a Tax Increase After All - 2010
- WTF (aka Why I Am Not a Girl) - 2009
- Palin's Smoothness - 2008
- Bailouts, McCain & Being Wrong - 2008
- Vineland Chili & Rib Cookoff - 2008
- The Hustler - 2008
- My Wife Loves Me - 2007
- Grammatical Error Costs Thompson Money - 2007
- When Organization Is Not Thorough - 2006
- Bed Jumping - 2006
- Lacking Leadership at Groundspeak - 2005
- bear - 2005
- Treehugger - 2005
- 28 September 2004 - 2004
- this tree needs a doctor! - 2003
- A Maze'n Trek - 2003
- Four tree cache - 2003
- cool & shady NEW - 2003
- between a rock and a hard place - 2003
- Lock Crotch and Barrel - 2003
- Cooper River Cache #1 - 2003
- Builders Needed - 2003
- Nipper was Hipper - 2003
- Ivy League - 2003
- EVERY CACHE NEEDS A PARK! - 2003
- Bambi's Bramble in Bordentown - 2003