This year’s gubernatorial campaign is interesting. New Jersey is decidedly liberal and the Democrats have a well-known wealthy man running (virtually) unopposed. The Republicans have a slate of candidates to challenge Senator Corzine. Being the citizen I am, I have been trying to follow the Republican race. It is difficult to do so.
Somehow I have found myself on several mailing lists. That is fine as I can pore over the campaign literature. Campaign literature is an interesting style of writing in that on glossy four-color paper a lot of words can be printed which say little. Being who I am, I have written campaigns asking for clarification.
Doug Forrester sends out more e-mail and printed materials than anyone, as far as I can see. He promotes www.doug.com, his campaign web site in everything he sends out. So, I looked. I haven’t found substance.
The Agenda for NJ page would presumably detail Mr. Forrester’s plans for our state.
The waste, fraud, and abuse that riddle state government today do not represent our New Jersey values. We need elected officials who will stand up and fight for New Jersey families instead of embracing corruption – I will be that governor. I will make New Jersey government responsible to the families who pay for it by:
– Providing immediate tax relief by undoing the senseless and burdensome taxes that Governor McGreevey created.
– Ending the “corruption tax”—the culture of corruption in Trenton that costs taxpayers millions of dollars every year.
– Eliminating wasteful spending that forces New Jersey taxpayers to pay for the Democrats’ spending addiction.
By curbing wasteful spending and eliminating the corruption tax, we can provide the meaningful tax relief that New Jersey’s hard-working families deserve. As governor, I will reduce property taxes, control spending and restore honesty and integrity to state government.
Nope, no details there.
Perhaps the particulars are listed on other pages. Traveling to Ethics Reform one would expect to read about the details of Mr. Forrester’s plans for ethics reform.
Doug Forrester will clean up corruption and make New Jersey work for the families who pay for it:
– Elect an independent Auditor General who will root out waste, fraud and abuse that cost us millions every year.
– Put an end to no-bid contracts that benefit career politicians and their contributors and hurt New Jersey families.
– Pass meaningful reforms to end “pay-to-play” once and for all.
– End the practice of dual-office holding, which allows “double dippers” to inflate their salaries and benefits at the taxpayers’ expense.
– Stop the corrupt “wheeling” system that evades reforms and funnels money throughout the state in back room deals.
Hmmm, those aren’t details.
Fiscal Responsibility will certainly lay out Forrester’s plan to re-vamp New Jersey’s poor spending habits.
As governor, Doug will restore fiscal responsibility and make government work for the families who pay for it:
– Eliminate the wasteful spending and corruption that cost taxpayers millions of dollars every year.
– Reduce the debt caused by the Democrats’ spending addiction.
– Provide meaningful tax relief for New Jersey’s hard-working families.
Doug Forrester: Character, Courage and Conviction For a Change.
There are no details here either.
Looking around the site further, I found out there are no white papers available. One reads a lot about how Mr. Forrester is a nice man with family values. He and his wife moved here 30 years ago with just a few dollars in their pockets. I bet Mr. Corzine is a nice man too. These are not reasons to elect one man over the other.
Substance is lacking. Yes, McGreevey was a horrible governor. But ol’ Jimbo isn’t running this time around. Corzine is not going to be latching onto McGreevey’s initiatives, so bringing his name up in campaign literature is only a cheap ploy to play politics. Fine, some of that will occur. So be it. But at some point, you have to actually say something of substance.
A few months ago I wrote to the Forrester campaign stating pretty much this sentiment. I was promised that soon there would be details about Doug’s plans. I haven’t seen it yet.
There is a primary coming up in a few months. How am I supposed to make an informed decision between Messrs. Forrester, Schundler, Schroeder, Murphy, Lonegan, DiGaetano, and Caliguire? Based on what I truly know about these fellows, I might as well cast my ballot in November for Ed “NJWeedman” Forchion. At least he has a position.
No, I am not naive. I know that committing too early to a position permits the opposition time to pick you apart. They will not have to commit to anything, other than the opposite of what you say. But aren’t we supposed to be reforming the way government works? If so, be bold, take your lumps, and carefully explain the details of your plan. While many folks simply do not pay attention, I refuse to believe that the electorate is so disinterested that it will not pay attention. Let me be bold. I will not vote for any candidate who does not detail his position on issues. Sweeping poli-speak isn’t going to get my vote. I need more. If the fashionable candidates do not want to commit, then my support will go elsewhere.
Folks, we are being underestimated and treated as though our votes are not important. We are registered Republicans, therefore, we will back the chosen candidate. Hogwash! The New Jersey Republican party has been ineffective for years and it is for this very reason. Perhaps I am not a good Republican, but I am a good citizen. Mr. Forrester, time is running out on my support.
Also blogged on this date . . .
- If you would clone yourself, which of your characteristics you wouldn’t want to be cloned? - 2022
- Veteran’s Memorial Park Adventure Lab-Bonus Cache - 2021
- meeting along the 295 ( DE ) - 2021
- DE Travelers Challenge - 2021
- Cache Emplacement - 2021
- SBGT DE Delaware City Fire Boat - 2021
- #7 - 2021
- Rt-9 Old C&D Canal New Bridge - 2021
- Fire Boat Nano - 2021
- Delaware City Adventure Lab - Bonus - 2021
- McKenzie's Cache - 2021
- An Angel to Watch Over Us - 2021
- OLD DRAWYERS CEMETERY - 2021
- NEW DRAWYERS CEMETERY NORTH - 2021
- NEW DRAWYERS CEMETERY SOUTH - 2021
- MOH James P. Connor - 2021
- GR--VETS - 2021
- Delaware Veterans Cemetery Adventure Lab Bonus - 2021
- The Forgotten Christmas Ornament - 2021
- Cemetery Crawler - 2021
- Memorial Day - 2021
- ICT - Blue Hen Tracks - 2021
- Birds of a Feather... - 2021
- Monkey in the Middle - 2021
- Xylophobia? We Hope Not! - 2021
- Silo by the Road - 2021
- C & D History - 2021
- Happy Halloween - 2021
- St. Rose - 2021
- Tender Loving Care Needed - 2021
- Code Word : BamBam - 2021
- Beginner's Luck - 2021
- Goodbye Wizbang - 2014
- "Come In, Shut Up & Sit Down" - 2012
- The Edge Is Back - 2011
- Ace - 2011
- It's Outta Here! - 2011
- Icon Hoarders - 2011
- Jamol's Going Out of Business - 2011
- A Crowded Market - 2010
- Delusional - 2010
- Michael Dooling - 2010
- I've Surpassed My Parents - 2009
- Vineland Public Schools Art Show - 2009
- Martin Fierro, R.I.P. - 2008
- What Am I Listening to Now? - 2008
- Garden State Fresh - 2008
- Fritz Is Almost Here - 2007
- mtn-man Geocoin - 2006
- Pre-Spring - 2006