Recently on a board I participate on someone asked:
What’s your 2 or 3 best tear jerker songs?
Hmmm . . . I’m a dude, I don’t cry. Yeah, that’s not the case any longer. Somewhere along the line I have become a wimp with movies. I sometimes get choked up with touching movies. And then there are the children’s books that get to me. That Thank You, Santa book is case in point!
But when it comes to music, the waterworks don’t flow as easily. I suspect it’s because I like upbeat stuff. Nevertheless, there are a couple songs that actually get to me.
I Will Take You Home
This is not your typical Grateful Dead song . . . Brent’s song to his daughter. The first time I heard this was at a show in Philly. I was in the concourse during a pee break (drums > space). The Dead always had speakers set up in the concourse. All of a sudden there was sweet sound. I rushed back in to hear the most beautifully sad song. It brings tears.
Song begins about 1:45 in. This is not the best version of this song . . . Jerry was in his MIDI phase at this point.
What a Wonderful World
It’s hard to argue with Louis Armstrong’s version of this, but Jerry Garcia added some soul that really hits home for me (okay, i’m a deadhead so I tend to gravitate to toward these versions).
I hear babies crying, I watch them grow
They’ll learn much more than I’ll never know
And I think to myself what a wonderful world
Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world.
Another song that has found itself on a home video. These great musicians are able to tap into some of those special moments that people can connect to. I loved this song when I saw Jerry sing it. I think the song has taken on magical qualities since I became a father.
In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.
I become choked up each time I hear this. How could one not?
Now you know, dear reader. So, what are your favorite tear jerker songs?
Also blogged on this date . . .
- What does love feel like to you? - 2022
- Woods of the Cemetery - 2021
- Minimalism Journey - 2021
- Mind Fucking Flowers - 2020
- The PDT Cocktail Book: The Complete Bartender's Guide from the Celebrated Speakeasy - 2020
- Moonshine Mixology: 60 Recipes for Flavoring Spirits Making Cocktails - 2020
- Flotsam - 2012
- Obama's Budget Misses the Mark - 2011
- Happy Valentine's Day? - 2011
- Angelo's Red Table Wine - 2010
- Happy Valentine's Day - 2009
- Who's the Principle? - 2009
- Jennifer Richard Jacobson - 2009
- It Was 40 Years Ago Tonight . . . - 2008
- Happy Valentine's Day - 2008
- Bonds Cheated - 2008
- Beetle Reads - 2007
- Happy Valentine's Day - 2007
- Politics As Usual in New Jersey - 2007
- More Moderator Snarkiness - 2006
- Happy Valentine's Day - 2005
- Live and Learn - 2005
- Bob, You Need to Read More Carefully - 2005
- Oldest Firehouse & Vol. Co. in U.S.A. !! - 2003
- moorestown hunt - 2003
- Old Moorestown townhall - 2003
- Weird NJ: "Grave Yard Vultures" #17/68 - 2003
- Weird NJ: Lawyer Lane Prison - 2003
- Weird NJ: "Trolley Valhalla" #13/29 - 2003
- Revoluntionary War Hospital - 2003
- CHRISTMAS CACHE - 2003
- B.B.B. - 2003
- Mill Creek Park - 2003
- Tomorrow’s House from Yesterday - 2003
- Field of Dreams - 2003
- Roses Are Red - 1995