Category: One-Room Schoolhouses
Centre Grove in Lawrence Township, Cumberland County sported a one-room schoolhouse. It was relocated in 1970 to Wheaton Village (now WheatonArts). Preserved but still available as a classroom, it sits as a testament of yesteryear.
Out Cedarville Road from Millville is the little village of Centre Grove. It once was the home of a one-room schoolhouse. Opened in 1876, the building served as a school until 1931 (the county site sets that at 1937). Leon and Ada Spencer purchased the school in 1931 and kept it in their possession until 1970.
On 29 June 1970, the school was relocated several miles into Millville at Wheaton Village, where it sits today.
The building has been restored and looks to be in good shape. It is walled off with glass. Visitors may view the schoolroom, but cannot explore.
The school is available to local schools for field trips. I am aware of several teachers who have conducted classes here over the years.
You must post a photo with your detailed description of your visit.
Also blogged on this date . . .
- 13 The Musical - 2021
- What's in the Car? - 2021
- Angels vs. Rockies - 2020
- Jersey Devil #18 - 2020
- DOT . . . DOT . . . DOT . . . - 2019
- Mother - 2012
- Government Breakfast - 2012
- 10 Years - 2011
- Swim for Nicole - 2010
- eCache - 2010
- Salt Plains National Wildlife Refuge - 2010
- Carnegie Library Center - Atlantic City, NJ - 2010
- Evans Bridge - 2010
- Cattlemen's Steakhouse - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA - 2010
- 1st Legislative District Assembly Forum - 2009
- eCache Endorsement - 2008
- We Don't Need No Education - 2008
- Our Cute Children - 2007
- A Liberal Arts Education - 2006
- Leadership? - 2005
- On Beards, Politics & Vows - 2005
- Bashaw Quits Jersey Shore Alliance - 2005
- Katz Speaks - 2005
- Next Oar - 2005
- Dead in Philly - 1988
- James Taylor - 1987