Quinn was mayor for years until the last election where he didn’t garner quite enough votes to hold that seat; now he sits beside the mayor. Quinn has twice been fined for being in violation of the law. Once for voting on issues that further his business interests and the second time for failing to follow federal regulations for his broadcasting license.
Now we find out that Quinn benefited from the Weed & Seed program. On the side of Quinn’s WSNJ building sits a newly painted mural. That mural came about through money from the Weed & Seed program. From The Daily Journal:
Cannon’s 10-by-15 foot ode to the Glasstown Arts District titled “Arts District Under Construction” is on the north-facing side of the Quinn Broadcasting building.
The murals were made possible by a $3,500 grant from the Weed and Seed program, as well as other grant money.
The Weed & Seed program is designed to improve cities.
Operation Weed and Seed is a multi-agency strategy that “weeds out” violent crime, gang activity, drug use, and drug trafficking in targeted high crime neighborhoods and “seeds” the target area by restoring these neighborhoods through social and economic revitalization.
Presumably, the mural on the side of Quinn’s business falls under the “seed” component of the program.
How did Quinn’s business get selected for this mural? It’s not like there aren’t other walls downtown that would have benefited from a taxpayer-funded mural. Would Quinn’s position on the City Commission have anything to do with why his private business was painted with your tax dollars?
One of the first writings I published in Cumberland County was this excoriation of Robert Torricelli when I wrote for The Daily Journal. The then-senator was embroiled in an ethics investigation. In it I wrote:
It does, however, say plenty that our senator cannot keep the appearance of impropriety from splashing the front pages.
I referenced that four years later when I called for disgraced Republican New Jersey Assemblyman Nick Asselta to step down when he procured drugs without seeing a doctor:
As a public servant, it is expected that Senator Asselta conduct himself in a manner which instills trust.
Perhaps this is all on the up-and-up. The problem is that it looks shady. High Street is replete with businesses needing help. Why was Quinn’s business singled out?
What kind of trust has Commissioner Quinn instilled in his constituents?
Also blogged on this date . . .
- Beetle, the Graduate - 2022
- Beetle's High School Graduation - 2022
- For Me - 2022
- Changing Habits - 2022
- Party - 2021
- Father's Day Ribeye - 2021
- Father's Day Song - 2020
- A Guide to the Common Core Writing Workshop Intermediate Grades (Units of Study in Opinion, Information, and Narrative Writing) - 2014
- Phineas L. Macguire...Gets Slimed (From the Highly Scientific Notebooks of Phineas L. Macguire) - 2014
- Girl Scout Junior - 2013
- 19th Annual Bubble Day - 2013
- Speak E-Z Officer Installation - 2012
- Airline Regulation - 2011
- Simple Man - 2010
- Breakdown - 2010
- Father's Day - 2009
- Marciano's Restaurant & Catering - 2008
- Brokedown Palace - 2008
- My Dance Class - 2008
- Look at my homes (updated) - 2008
- Claim A Cache GSV Style - 2008
- WAGONS, WHEELS & WAYS - Old Wagon Trails - 2008
- Sunny Day, Sweepin' the Clouds Away - 2007
- Welcome Summer TC 2.0 - 2007
- A Good Place for Breakfast - 2006
- Pleasant Plaza Place - 2006
- Kansas City: Here We Are! - 2006
- Multi-purpose History - 2006
- I Hate Milwaukee - 2006
- Adoption Service - 2005
- Conservatives Kill Another - 2005
- Gifts for Teachers? - 2005
- Indians vs. White Sox - 2004
- Car Seats - 2004
- Here Comes the Sun(Crush and TraumaJunkie) - 2003
- Needle in the Pines - 2003
- Mickey Mo' - 2003
- Jr's Pocket Cache - 2003
- Piney Power - 2003
- Devil in Camo - 2003
- Children of the Pines - 2003
- Look a Byrne Dam!! - 2003
- Goin Down with the Ship - 2003
- Bad to the Bone cache - 2003
- For What it's Worth - 2003
- The Legend of Wooley Swamp! - 2003
- Six Points - 2003
- FroSkiKen = Forseek'en!! - 2003
- 1st Annual Devil of a Summer Picnic - 2003
- Mother Earth - 2003
- City Hunter - 2003
- MAPS - 2003
- Youngsters Cache @ Atsion - 2003
- Eastpoint Lighthouse - 2002
- PSE+G Persecution - 2002
- East Point Lighthouse Letterbox - 2002
- Under Turkey's Belly - 2002
- Phillies vs. Pirates - 2001