Eleven years ago I spent the fall shopping for televisions. I had a tube television whose image was bad. With young children, we felt a television for them was warranted. At the time, Google television was just coming out. Streaming was a new thing. Getting televisions onto one’s home network was the thing. I hadn’t a clue as to how to do all that. It took months of research, shopping, asking questions, and narrowing down things until I pulled the trigger. As far as I know, those televisions are still in use in the house.
More than 20 years ago I had a mole on my chin. It was a large mole. It bothered me. I went to a doctor. She came in and said, “Yup, we’ll take that off.” She pulled out the knife and set to work. I stopped her. I needed more than a minute of the doctor’s time before she took a knife to my face.
Likewise, I used to have tubes inserted into my ears regularly. My doctor got too old to do the work. He had a new colleague. It’s the first time I ever had a doctor I was older than. She too was all ready to get to work when I slowed her down. I needed some comfort in the knowledge she was competent. She was pleasant and seemed to understand. She put me at ease.
Today, in less than an hour, I purchased a knee.
It dawned on me on the way home how cavalier I am in this purchase. I met the surgeon, he reviewed my x-rays, my history, and asked me some questions. Boom! I agreed to let this man cut me, saw off some of my bones, and attach a manmade object inside me.
There was a lot less time and research put into this than the televisions.
Unless I pursue it, the next time I will see the doctor will be ight before I am put out for the surgery. This is insane!
Do I have enough trust in the process and this man specifically not to ask every minute question?
He asked me a question that caught me off guard: Do I have a living will? After I recovered from the shock, I realized that I do.
Also blogged on this date . . .
- Morning Dump: Shedding Mentally - 2022
- Indigenous People's Day - 2022
- I Can't Want - 2021
- How do you break the cycle of compulsory consumption? - 2021
- Halfway to Heaven - 2020
- My Librarian Is a Camel: How Books Are Brought to Children Around the World - 2018
- Me…Jane - 2018
- Pride (In the Name of Love) - 2017
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T - 2017
- On Recommendations - 2017
- The BFG - 2016
- Dead Man's Float: A Jersey Shore Mystery (The Jersey Shore Mysteries Book 1) - 2016
- Appetizing - 2015
- Garden State Series: Jesey Fresh - 2013
- Starbucks Coffee : Yukon Blend - 2013
- Garden State Series: Peach - 2013
- GDBW-CYZY - 2013
- Search for the Jersey Devil (2) - 2013
- Ideal - 2013
- Gorgeous - 2013
- Government Breakfast - 2012
- The Boy Who Loved Words - 2010
- Commencement - 2010
- Dot . . . Dot . . . Dot . . . - 2009
- Pulled Pork - 2008
- The Beast @ Bevan - 2007
- LUCY THE ELEPHANT - 2007
- Another Slice of Bevan - 2007
- C'mon - 2006
- My Trip to the Library - 2006
- Culture Warrior - 2006
- AHOME - 2005
- Turmoil in Beetle's World - 2004
- Now to Bed - 2004
- Morning Has Broken - 2004
- Cubs vs. Braves - 2003
- Area D4 Table Topics Contest - 2002
- Letter from Nancy McArthur - 1998
- Activist Briefing - 1989