There’s a part of me that likes to run counter to the crowd. For many years I think I thought that was a good way to be noticed. If everyone is moving left and I move right, well, folks will notice me. And that may have been an underlying trait to what I did.
These days, however, opting out is not for other people. It’s not to get me noticed. It’s because I choose to. It’s what I want.
Twenty-five years ago I was astonished that my sister did not have cable television. I recall stating to our parents, “Who doesn’t have cable? Who doesn’t take a newspaper?”
I have neither these days. Neither serve my interests in 2021. I have opted out.
For almost 13 years I did not log geocaches. I had opted out of the community. Even now, while I do log my finds these days, I go about playing differently than most. I do it the way that I comfortable with. Streaks don’t interest me. Events usually don’t either.
I don’t do reunions. Nor small talk.
I don’t do what a lot of people consider normal. Whatever those things are, I have decided they don’t fit who I am and what I choose to do.
I would never proclaim that I am impervious to advertising, but I don’t feel a need to be trendy. I have no streaming services. I am actually working on an idea where I would give up Internet access in my home including my cellphone. I don’t know if that will come to fruition, but it may. I want to opt out of being tracked by Google.
Opting out permits me to pursue what I what rather than be beholden to expectations. How freeing!
Also blogged on this date . . .
- Do - 2020
- By the Pricking of My Thumbs (Tommy and Tuppence, #4) - 2019
- 1 Corinthians 1:3-9 - 2014
- Birthdays, Puppies & Brokedown - 2013
- What a Day! - 2013
- Pipe Organ - 2013
- Government Breakfast - 2012
- Fourth Grade Rats - 2012
- Land of The Freebies, Home of the Enslaved - 2011
- A Week Without Twitter - 2010
- Swimming On the Public Dime - 2010
- Dot . . . Dot . . . Dot . . . - 2010
- Bowing to Burger King - 2009
- Geotagged - 2008
- Organization - 2008
- Pearl - 2007
- Cemetery Challenge #1 - 2007
- Cemetary Challenge #4 - 2007
- Korean Conflict/War Memorials - 2007
- Civil War Memorials - 2007
- Smiley - Not another Wal-Mart cache! - 2007
- Wildlife Encounters of the "Close Kind" - 2007
- Geared Up - 2006
- Whoosh! - 2006
- Grocery Shopping - 2005
- Stinky Feet - 2004
- 'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving - 2004
- Merry Christmas - 2003
- Down South Jukin' - 2003
- Find the Solitude - 2003
- It's Elmer Fudd Season - 2003
- Reflection of Decision-Making Materials - 1998