A few days ago I began gathering supplies for a bar. Since I’ve moved, the bar has not been a thing. That went away almost as soon as I began it two years ago when the divorce hit. Tonight I reopened it.
First poured: the Aviation!
This cocktail took the world by storm during the early 2000s. Someone unearthed this old cocktail. With the availability of Creme de Violette these days, this long lost cocktail became en vogue again. I was fascinated with it, but never had one let alone made one. That is until last summer. We ended up in Grand Forks, North Dakota at Sky’s, a very nice restaurant. And there on the menu was the Aviation. I took off that evening. I seem to remember walking to Minnesota that night. 🙂
About a month ago I began thinking about this again. I wrote Sky’s and asked them what brands they used. There’s lots of discussion online about brands and measurements. I opted for Leandro’s proportions using Sky’s brands. They are the only ones I have heard of using Bombay Sapphire, but it’s a London dry gin, so it fits what most use.
Watch YouTube Aviation videos and it is easy to become confused, put off, and otherwise perplexed regarding this. I went ahead with my plan:
2 oz. Bombay Sapphire gin
.75 oz. fresh lemon juice
3/8 oz. Luxardo Maraschino Originale
3 /8 oz. Rothman & Winter Liqueur Creme de Violette
Luxardo Maraschino cherry
- Build in Boston shaker.
- Add ice. Shake 10-15 seconds until tin is frosted.
- Double strain into coupe or Nick & Nora.
- Garnish with Maraschino cherry.
No soapiness that many attest to. No tartness to put me off as others state. There was a blueness to the mix that I was thinking might not be there. I used a glass I picked up today at a yard sale. It’s pretty, but perhaps small. There’s 3.5 ounces of liquid in this thing before delusion. It didn’t all fit in the glass. It’s probably designed for aperitifs.
It is a potent little drink. After one, I am warm. This has been the only gin drink I have had since college. I considered gin off limits, but understand that was to my detriment.
I imagine as I progress, the cocktail will progress with me. I rather like this one and it’s good to have the bar flowing once again.
Also blogged on this date . . .
- Thermapen - 2022
- Take Time To Reflect - 2021
- COVID-19 Lockdown Haircut - 2020
- I Love Lucy - 2017
- Sin City Light! - 2017
- It's Time to Hit the Heights - 2017
- Honey Pot - 2012
- Dot . . . Dot . . . Dot . . . - 2012
- Oh My: Nelson's Flashback - 2012
- Easter Story Cookies - 2011
- Conferences Are Over! - 2010
- The Craziness of Life at Home - 2009
- What Am I Listening to Now? - 2008
- Critical Reading - 2007
- Douchebag - 2006
- Roger Waters to Tour? - 2006
- What Are the Different Logos You Use? - 2006
- Phillies vs. Braves - 2005
- Maybe There Is Hope - 2005
- Phillies vs. Padres - 2001
- D.C. & Richmond - 1993