This series highlights the International Bartenders Association (IBA) The Unforgettables cocktails. I have decided to work my way through this series of cocktails to investigate the classics as I teach myself mixology and build out my home bar.
Yesterday I made the gin fizz. It is difficult for me to see the difference between these two cocktails other than the ice. What I will say is that the lemon juice is quite pronounced in this. Why here and not in the gin fizz? The only explanation I had is that I used more than a splash of soda water in the gin fizz; I filled the glass. Doing so must have diluted the lemon.
Here, it was quite pronounced. This is definitely a spiked lemonade. Love it! It is refreshing on this summer day. Easy to make and fewer tools as there is no shaking going on as it is built in the glass.
But this drink totally confuses me. Not a gin drinker, I am unfamiliar with the cocktails. But I have heard of a Tom Collins. I searched for the difference between a Tom Collins and a John Collins. Same drink save gin is substituted with bourbon. Sounds like a Mike’s hard lemonade.
Here’s the thing: IBA says a John Collins is made with Old Tom gin. I looked some more. Well, apparently, back in the 1800s, a John Collins was made with genever. Since then, it has been made with bourbon. What I made here would be classified by most, I suspect, as a Tom Collins. That is certainly a name of a cocktail I am familiar with.
Tom, John, Dick, or Harry—it doesn’t much matter to me. It is a fun cocktail.
John CollinsCourse: Cocktails, The Unforgettables
45 ml Gin
30 ml Fresh Lemon Juice
15 ml Simple Syrup
60 ml Soda Water
- Pour all ingredients directly into a highball filled with ice. Stir gently.
- Garnish with a lemon slice and maraschino cherry.
- Use ‘Old Tom’ Gin for Tom Collins.
Also blogged on this date . . .
- Seasons to Things - 2022
- A Fundamental Shift - 2022
- March to the (Missing) Arch: OWU Webcam Cache - 2021
- Star Wars: Darth Maul - 2020
- Magpie Murders - 2020
- The Roast: "This Is the End" - 2012
- The Roast of Facebook - 2012
- "Not a Tax" - 2012
- Chuck E. Cheese - 2011
- Playing Politics - 2010
- Today's Agenda - 2009
- Birthday BBQ - 2009
- Baby, I'm a Star - 2008
- Dot . . . Dot . . . Dot . . . - 2008
- Talia Shire Cannot Act - 2007
- Up the Creek - 2006
- Shuttlecock - 2006
- Scout - 2006
- Moo - 2006
- Eli, Eli, Lema Sabachthani? - 2006
- Growing Up - 2005
- National Mall War Memorials CC Only Cache - 2005
- First in Line: Waiting for the Ferry - 2005
- Find an Obelisco - 2005
- Gordons Pond Flyway #1 - 2003
- Rehoboth Bay - 2003
- Lewes Cache and Dash - 2003
- Herring Point - 2003
- Tour of Cape Henlopen - 2003
- The New Beachcomber - 2003
- Chocolate Goodies - 2003
- Boys Toys - 2003
- 1ST STate HAPPY - 2003
- Cape's Nature - 2003
- Beany Baby Cache - 2003
- Snakes in the Grass - 2003
- Barbie's Hang-Out - 2003
- Bugs! - 2003