This series highlights the International Bartenders Association (IBA) The Unforgettables cocktails. I have decided to work my way through this series of cocktails to investigate the classics as I teach myself mixology and build out my home bar.
Of all the cocktails in this list, the Manhattan is the one I am most familiar with. I used to think of it as an old person’s drink. I have an image of the blue hairs at Jesse’s Dockside ordering these during the senior citizen discount time. Perhaps I am now an old guy and that’s why it appeals to me. Perhaps.
I’ve always been a whiskey guy, so this fits in that vein. It’s spirits forward (all spirits) and up. It’s what I think of as a cocktail.
When I first began the bar back at the house, this was the cocktail that started it all. When I re-started things here at 3-Cubed, it was there in the beginning. It’s the cocktail that I have posited would win out as my go-to cocktail. Have to say the Last Word is giving it a run for its money. 🙂
I have previously toyed with this cocktail. I accept the 2:1 ration of rye to sweet vermouth, therefore, I did not follow the IBA recipe. I used two ounces of Rittenhouse rye and one ounce of Antica Formula sweet vermouth. Both were recommended a few years ago when I initially researched this. I have been pleased since. Even so, I will be dabbling with the ingredients. I have Wild Turkey 101 Rye that is sitting here ready to take Rittenhouse’s place. Nothing wrong with Rittenhouse; I rather like it. I think the WT I will like even more. I will try substitutiing Cocchi for the Antica too. I don’t think it will win out as the Antica is wonderful, but Cocchi is one-third the price. 😉
ManhattanCourse: Cocktails, The Unforgettables
50 ml Rye Whiskey
20 ml Sweet Red Vermouth
1 dash Angostura Bitters
- Pour all ingredients into mixing glass with ice cubes. Stir well. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a cocktail cherry.
Also blogged on this date . . .
- A Handbook for New Stoics: How to Thrive in a World Out of Your Control—52 Week-by-Week Lessons - 2020
- Gaming Focus - 2016
- Dot . . . Dot . . . Dot . . . - 2012
- Sesame Place - 2011
- First Day of Enrichment - 2010
- Symposium 2010: Removing the Road to Jericho - 2010
- Corruption at DRPA - 2010
- Testing a Father's Love - 2009
- New Jersey Voters Don't Count - 2009
- LUCUBRATION? - 2008
- Eight Caches While Running Errands - 2008
- Fritz Grows Up - 2008
- Money! Money! Money - 2008
- Corzine Already Seeking More Tax Money - 2008
- Philadelphia Cheesesteak - 2007
- First Day of School - 2007
- Philadelphia Merchants' Exchange - 2007
- Scoring: Bunt Foul on the Third Strike - 2005
- Another Chink in the Armor - 2005
- What Is Your Bacon Number? - 2005
- Baffoon Pilot - 2004
- Sea Breeze - 2003
- Lazy - 2003
- Cape May Point Lighthouse Trek - 2002
- Rangers vs. Red Sox - 1990
- Grateful Dead w/ Los Lobos - 1989
- Grateful Dead & Little Feat - 1988