This series highlights the International Bartenders Association (IBA) The Unforgettables cocktails. I have decided to work my way through this series of cocktails to investigate the classics as I teach myself mixology and build out my home bar.
It’s been a long time since I’ve had an Old Fashioned. I grew up in the era of muddled fruit, so this is different than what I was accustomed to. In the end, it is watered-down bourbon. That’s all. Take bourbon, add sugar and water to it, add ice, and stir. That is watered-down bourbon.
Even so, I made it. Okay. Any drink with sugar (Mint Julep) gets consumed so quickly that I think it is lost upon me. Here too.
The second I preferred as I used rye. I have no issue with bourbon, but i thought rye worked better. The third one, hey, I am all about experimenting, I added simple syrup instead of water. Yeah, I can see why folks would like something like that. It was indeed sweet.
I would certainly drink this out, but probably only if the crowd were having these. Otherwise, I think I would opt for something different.
Old FashionedCourse: Cocktails, The Unforgettables
45 ml Bourbon or Rye Whiskey
1 Sugar Cube
Few Dashes Angostura Bitters
Few Dashes Plain Water
- Place sugar cube in old fashioned glass and saturate with bitter, add few dashes of plain water. Muddle until dissolved. Fill the glass with ice cubes and add whiskey. Stir gently.
- Garnish with an orange slice or zest, and a cocktail cherry.
Also blogged on this date . . .
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - 2022
- Indians vs. White Sox - 2021
- Nationals vs. Blue Jays - 2020
- Slim's Ranch Treasures - 2020
- GHPCC-Big Timber Creek - 2020
- Just 1 - 2 get you here - 2020
- GHPCC-How New Jersey Got Its Name - 2020
- GHPCC-Aaron Chew - 2020
- Say it again Slim - 2020
- Woof, Woof - 2020
- Troop#30592 - 2020
- GHPCC-The Church of St. John the Evangelist - 2020
- Stairway to Heaven - 2020
- Nitro Girl - 2020
- One Clean Cache - 2020
- For the first time - 2020
- Tiny's Cache - 2019
- Jersey Shore Beach Bums Unite! - 2019
- Write a comment on someone’s blog - 2014
- Franklin Institute - 2014
- The Indians of New Jersey: Dickon Among the Lenapes - 2013
- If I Ran the Zoo - 2013
- Froggy Gets Dressed - 2013
- How: Why How We Do Anything Means Everything - 2013
- The Daily Five - 2012
- Toastmasters Anonymous - 2012
- The Ridiculousness of Cellphones - 2012
- Pet Peeve Alert: Styrofoam - 2011
- A Bevan Ride - 2011
- Beetle's Dance Class - 2010
- Challenging Facts - 2009
- I'm a Bobblehead - 2008
- Slowing the Boy Down - 2008
- Font Humor - 2008
- Our Own "Phony War" - 2007
- Somebody Needs a New Compass - 2007
- Vertical Lift Bridge - 2007
- Prickly Pine - 2007
- Grave of Joe Mulliner - 2006
- The Swamp Monster - 2006
- Slow & Steady - 2006
- Eatin' Good in Wharton - 2006
- Past Borders - 2005
- Hugh Hewitt Wrong About Goldstein - 2005
- Taxpayers Shunned . . . Again - 2005
- A Piece of Hellertown History - 2003
- Bridge The Gap - 2003
- Natural Pavement - 2003
- For Musical geocachers - 2003
- Lake Warren - 2003
- For History Buffs - 2003
- Gecko 001 - 2003
- Passport - 1985