This project has taught me some things. I began the rumtopf with strawberries. I think of strawberry season the very beginning of June. Strawberries were ending that week. Likewise, I think of peaches as August, yet I have been seeing peaches everywhere. The other day I stopped at Ingraldi’s as I needed some items. They had peaches. I asked if they were Jersey peaches. Indeed! Then I heard how everything came in early this year. They’ve had peaches all month.
Picked up three quarts ($5 per). That was 15 peaches. I opted for white for no reason.
Here’s the thing. I like peaches, but much like with oranges, I don’t eat them. They are too much work. It’s been since childhood that I cut open a fresh peach on my own. Today was interesting.
I knew peeling peaches wasn’t done with a vegetable peeler as the flesh gets cuts up. I looked at some videos. It seemed easy enough. First I scored an X in the bottom of the peaches’ skin. Then I boiled some water, tossed in six peaches at a time for 30 seconds. Took them out to an ice bath, and repeated.
Peeling the peaches at this point could not have been easier. The skins came right off.
Then I set to slicing the peaches. Ugh.
These things are slippery than eels without skins on them. And pitting them was a chore on a few of the peaches. Oh, everything was ripe, it’s just that I was trying to preserve the flesh and well things got messy.
All of a sudden I was concerned that the peaches would turn brown, so I opened the rumtopf and just placed the slices right into the pot. Filled it all the way.
I had planned on stopping with peaches. It’s a good thing for there is no more room in the two-gallon pot. Now it’s time for the alcohol to do it’s thing.
Also blogged on this date . . .
- Where There Is a Will . . . - 2022
- Cedar Rose Vineyards - 2021
- Lot 6 - 2020
- VPL Summer Reading Challenge - 2020
- Why BlazeOn? - 2019
- Send a nice email to a company - 2014
- Spaghetti for Breakfast - 2012
- Tea Party - 2012
- Parvin Picnic with Friends - 2011
- Airport Loop - 2011
- Florida Bound - 2010
- Swimming in Poop . . . Literally - 2009
- Dot . . . Dot . . . Dot . . . Political Edition - 2009
- Homemade Pizza - 2009
- Family Swim - 2008
- Pub Quiz - 2008
- Cell Tower Disguised as a Tree - 2008
- Kugel Ball, Where Are You? - 2007
- Storming the Castle - 2007
- Reject - 2006
- CRDA, Sun National Bank, and Bashaw Corruption - 2005
- One Man's Trash - 2005
- Old Windmill - 2005
- Be Careful! - 2005
- I AM TIRED... - 2004
- I-295 north "I Hate Micros" Micro - 2004
- The River with a View - 2004
- The Other NJ Beach (right off Rt. 295) - 2004
- www.wherespo.com - 2002
- Weymouth Ruins - 2002
- "So You Like To Hike?" - 2002
- Arrow @ The Dockyard - 1991