Quest Scouts is an interesting pursuit that appeals to me on many levels. There are a variety of activities to complete. There is a checklist of items to know what needs to be completed. There is a definitive goal.
Many of the activities have been quite interesting. I have been pleasantly surprised at several tasks, particularly some of the books that I have read.
Even so, I think Quest Scouts is a past pursuit of mine.
The expense and the inconsistent publishing schedule have been issues for me throughout. But that hasn’t kept me from returning as I have had a few times.
My current lifestyle is such that I am quite mindful of what I do and what I bring into my life. I have a box (I actually purchased) of bobbles and other od ends to house arts and craft supplies primarily to be used for Quest Scouts. The thing is, there are always more things to purchase to complete the tasks.
At some point, one has to consider the amount of stuff and money spent to pursue this. That’s what I am doing now. I can afford to spend whatever I want on this. It just doesn’t seem worthy of my wallet. Cost per unit of pleasure is too great for me, I guess.
Another component of this is the constant managing of stuff. I like my simple lifestyle. Managing the stuff complicates the lifestyle. It’s more work than I want to put into recreation. That’s the nut of it, I think. It is easier to not play than it is to do so. I have plenty of pleasure activities that I will not lack for entertainment.
Objective: It’s A Fact! Details: Trivia- we’ve all got some. Today’s micro objective requires two steps.
1) Post a trivia question below.
2) Check out other people’s trivia questions and answer one. Don’t guess at the answer, but instead research the trivia question and provide a link to where you found your answer. (Wikipedia is fine. This is for fun! However, if someone thinks a trivia answer is wrong feel free to correct it.)
Please only answer one trivia question, as we need to make sure there are enough for everyone to participate.
What is American bourbon, and why isn’t Jack Daniels bourbon?
Objective: Tube Time Details: While our “media” objective will normally support the theme of our monthly quests, 31 Micro Quests’ theme (or lack thereof) is the broad, “5-20 minute activities that provoke newness.”
1) Today’s micro objective is to watch at least one of the videos below. Watching all 4 videos will take you less than 20 minutes!
2) Let us know which video(s) you watched and what you thought of them in the comments below.
Objective: Park It Details: We know, it’s getting cold for some of you! Here at Quest Scouts Central in Portland, OR, it is starting to rain just a bit. While it is always good to be mindful of the weather, breathing cold fresh air is often better than breathing no fresh air at all!
1) Today’s micro objective is very straight forward- visit a park. Any park will do! Perhaps you have one down the street from your home? Or maybe just a short drive away? Spend a few minutes walking around the park and take in the sights. Even if this is a park you visit often, there are always new things to notice about your surroundings.
2) Take a photo while at the park and post it in our Facebook group! Alternatively, you can also share on Instagram or Twitter with the tag #QuestScouts.
One of the things I enjoyed about when my son was little was taking him to the park. It’s not that I had any choice as he wanted to constantly go. He liked to run, slide, and swing. He’s always liked being on the swings. I would push him forever on the swing. He just loved it.
Today we had some time to kill before we picked Beetle up from her theatre. We headed to a nearby park . . . just like old times. And there was Fritz on the swings. He may be too old for me to push him any longer, but we had a good time at the park.